Sunday, March 8, 2009

The worst thing to happen to productivity.

Prof. Post suggested this Business Week article that discusses the viral effect of social networking via mobile phone, predicting a large percentage of Americans will use their cell phones as their primary social networking tool by 2012. This is largely unscientific, of course, but I, for one, think the 2012 date for that advancement is a little off. Quite possibly the worst thing that could have happened to my attention span occurred when I downloaded the Facebook app onto my Blackberry. 

Instantly, at my fingertips I have access to over 500 friends' status updates and newsfeeds, and I can respond immediately when someone sends a message my way. This has absolutely affected my concentration level but has done wonders for staying in-the-know about what my friends are having for lunch and where there next business trip may be. 

Case in point (posted by a girlfriend of mine who just joined Facebook):



No comments: